Varicose veins are large, swollen veins that often appear on the legs and feet. They happen when the valves in the veins do not work properly, so the blood does not flow effectively. They can be on your face or most commonly on your legs. They affect both men and women, with women having a higher prevalence.
Spider / Varicose Veins
What are Varicose / Spider Veins?
What treatments are available for varicose veins and spider veins?
There are many different treatments available for varicose veins. These treatments vary based upon the size and location of the varicose veins, the presence of symptoms, and in cases of accompanying skin changes (for example, swelling, dermatitis or ulceration, for example). Briefly, potential treatments may include:
- leg elevation while sitting or sleeping,
- compression dressings with single or multilayered systems,
- compression stockings,
- sclerotherapy (injection of a liquid or foam into the vein to form a clot and permanently destroy the vessel),
- ablation (destruction) of abnormal veins with techniques using laser, radiofrequency or other modalities
- surgery (removal of the varicose veins, including “phlebectomy” or vein stripping).
In general, sclerotherapy and laser therapy are helpful in treating spider veins (telangiectasias), while ablation and surgery may be a better option for larger varicose veins.
How do I know which treatment will I need for my veins?
The team at Wellness Med Art will carefully examine you and determine which treatment will work best for you.